Wednesday, July 15, 2009

ICE steps up enforcement, Form I-9 recordkeeping under fire

On July 1, 2009, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced that the agency had issued 652 Notices of Inspection (NOIs) to look into suspected negligent hiring.

The new audit initiative illustrates the agency’s stepped-up focus on holding employers directly accountable for their hiring practices and their duty to ensure a legal and documented workforce.

The NOIs serve as an alert to businesses that ICE will conduct investigations to determine whether their hiring records, including employment eligibility forms (Form I-9), are in compliance with federal law.

For the countless number of businesses who weren’t served with NOIs, the announcement from ICE may be a jarring wake-up call to ensure that they’re in full compliance with the employment eligibility verification process.

Businesses should make certain that all employees involved in the hiring process are fully trained on the work eligibility process and Form I-9 best practices.

Employers are legally required to fill out a Form I-9 to verify the work eligibility of new employees and re-verify the eligibility of existing employees. Employers who fail to fill out I-9 forms for every employee may be subject to violation fines.

Learn more about Form I-9 documentation and recordkeeping compliance:

ICE announces audits, review Form I-9 best practices

Form I-9 expiration date extended past 6/30/09

Are your employees trained on the new Form I-9?

Illegal immigration enforcement shifts toward employers

No comments:


Brought to you by www.gneil.com